July 22, 2009
Melissa-Ann Smith was recently named Treasurer of the Lancaster Area Paralegal Association (LAPA). Melissa has been a member of LAPA since 1997. Melissa commented on her recent appointment, "In the past, LAPA has worked without budget because it didn’t really need one. But, as LAPA grows a budget is the only practical way to make sure funds are being used in the way they were intended. My goal over the next few months is to create and get board approval of LAPA’s first ever budget. Some may see that as a daunting task, I see it as just plain old fun."
The Lancaster Area Paralegal Association is a non-profit corporation, which has been serving Paralegals and Legal Assistants in the Lancaster area since 1984. LAPA is a charter member of the Keystone Alliance of Paralegal Associations and an affiliated association of the National Association of Legal Assistance. LAPA’s goals and objectives are:
- To encourage and foster continuing legal education of its members.
- To establish good fellowship and networking among association members, other local paralegal associations, and the members of the legal community.
- To promote the profession of the paralegal; educating the public for the advancement and improvement of the profession; and broadening public understanding of the skills and functions of the paralegal.
- To support and carry out the programs, purposes, aims and goals of the Keystone Alliance of Paralegal Associations.
- To encourage a high order of ethical and professional attainment.