On Fridays, we compile and post Legal Links, a list of legal news, reported cases, community events and topics of interest to Lancaster residents and readers of the Lancaster Law Blog.
- Is the meaning of fahrvergnügen still the same? Local Volkswagen dealers are bracing for impact after it was revealed in an ever growing scandal that Volkswagen had developed sophisticated computer programs to cheat emissions tests. As with safety recalls, the local dealers assumed they would be inundated with a multitude of calls from customers regarding their vehicles. Surprisingly, the calls have been far less than expected. One local manager pointed out that while it is not a safety recall, we all breathe the same air and the tests show there are higher levels of pollutants coming out of the cars.
- Sing it loud, sing it proud – After 80 years, a U.S. District Court Judge has ruled that while the melody and piano arrangements are under copyright, the lyrics to Happy Birthday are not. So sing away, song birds!
- Super time to see a Supermoon – Sunday night’s sky will feature a larger than life supermoon made blood red from a rare total lunar eclipse. This is the first time this has occurred in thirty years. Unlike a solar eclipse, a lunar eclipse is safe to look at with the naked eye. So take some time to look up on Sunday night. Want to know more? Check out NASA’s website or follow them on Twitter.
- Last Chance – This weekend will be your last chance to visit the largest street fair in Pennsylvania, the Ephrata Fair. And, although it is not the largest or even billed as a street fair, the West Lampeter Community Fair offers family entertainment accompanied by funnel cakes and fried Oreos. So tour the county and, more importantly, tour the food stands!
- On a more serious note… Lancaster County announced Wednesday that they will be overhauling how DUI cases will be dealt with. This new process promises that cases will be tried and closed faster.
While you are travelling throughout the county and enjoying the first weekend of autumn, keep an eye out for topics or community events for future Legal Links and submit them to email@example.com.